That’s right kids! It’s time to spend all of your parents’ money on new screens for whiling away all of your spare time with.
I’ll walk you through all of the changes and updates in bullet points below so you can stop reading and rush out to spend that money when pre-orders open on Friday.
iPhone 6s/6s Plus
The latest edition of the ubiquitious smartphone looks exactly like the last one…on the surface.
- 3D Touch is a new feature that detects how hard you press on your phone.
- It’s an interaction method you’ve never seen before, and honestly it’s hard to explain in writing. You should watch this video instead.
- This is an “S” update, which means the new phones have better cameras.
- Touch ID is faster.
- The phone is generally faster.
- They cost the same as the iPhone 6 models did until today (starting at $199).
- All iPhone 6 models have gone down $100.
- The iPhone 5s is now a free upgrade device.
- See below for subscription pricing awesomeness….
- Ships September 25
iPhone Upgrade Program
The cell phone business just changed big time.
- You can now subscribe to new iPhones directly from Apple.
- You set it up at the Apple Store.
- You pay a monthly rate (starting at $16/month) on 24 month loan.
- You have the option to get a new phone each year when they’re announced.
- Upgrading mid-cycle would most likely mean paying the balance of your loan.
- You can use it on any carrier.
- Your phone is always covered by an Apple Care+ Warranty.
Apple’s set-top box has been updated for the first time in years, and it’s a doozy.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, MLB and more are baked in.
- All services are searchable in one search box and with Siri.
- The remote is half iPhone, half wiimote.
- You can shop and play Guitar Hero on it.
- It actually looks like a decent rival to the Chromecast.
- Two sizes and prices; 32 gb for $149 or 64 gb for $199.
- Not bad, but don’t expect to put your whole library on one just yet.
- Ships in October
The iPad is finally going to work. Like for real this time.
- Twice the size of any other iPad. Space for a full size keyboard on-screen.
- Can run new Microsoft Office, including side-by-side multi-tasking.
- Microsoft actually had a rep on-stage to show this off and it was weird.
- Has a new suite of Adobe apps to compliment existing ones for all of you creative types.
- Adobe actually had a rep on-stage to show this off and it was weird.
- It has a stylus! Well, it’s actually called the Apple Pencil. (additional $99)
- It has a keyboard! (additional $169)
- It starts at $799 and goes up based on storage space.
- If this seems high, consider the fact that it costs less than a Macbook Pro with both accessories and has comparable power with better graphics.
- Ships in November
It has a new operating system and some new cases, but it’s basically the same thing.
- It comes in gold and rose gold.
- It has new bands including some designer ones.
- There’s a silver and red Product RED version.
- The new OS allows for more third-party apps that will be great for medicine and also Facebook Messenger (if you’re into that).
- It’s available now and costs the same as existing Watches (starting at $349).
The updated operating system will be available for iPhone 4s and up on September 16th as a free upgrade.
- Siri is Proactive. Basically she’s tracking more about you to do more.
- Search now goes into your apps and pulls information out.
- Mail is a little nicer.
- Notes is a lot nicer.
- Also, iCloud storage is getting cheaper with a starting price of $0.99/month for 50 GB.
And One Republic was there…..yeah….
So that’s all you missed if you weren’t fan-boying it up like I was this afternoon. Apple will still take all of your money anyway.